J, I agree on many levels. Many professionals argue that once you are more than 3 standard deviations from the mean on an IQ test, another 10 points is noise. For us, the results from IQ and achievement testing meant what they meant for you: that now I can confidently apply for service for my kid. Also, that all of our theories about his abilities are confirmed.

We never presented Santa in a traditional way, either. I always told our son, "we pretend to be Santa to plan fun surprises for other people." He thought it was great fun to go elfing around the neighborhood with containers of homemade fudge a few days before Christmas. He was interested in the myth of Santa (L. Frank Baum's book is an amazing version!) just as he has always been fascinated with cultural myths in general.

As far as the tooth fairy goes, he has always known it is me, but really enjoys the pretend game of it. On a similar note, we did the Hogwarts Summer Correspondence Course this year, and I could tell that he knew it was really me doing the magic. But he so enjoyed the fantasy that he didn't want to talk too much about the "mom behind the curtain."

E