Mary, I like your advice a lot. In my mind, he should spend his extra time pursuing well-roundedness Art History class, learn ballroom dancing, culinary arts (who can resist a man who knows how to cook well?), reading the classics, 3rd language, woodworking...Clearly, these are MY ideas about how to make him an interesting person, but I do think I need to talk to him about what "off the wall" topics might interest him for independent pursuit. (My aside worry is that without structure of a course and grades he'll resort to free time video gaming...)

Dottie, I think whining comes with adolescence. I can't wait till they outgrow it and I threaten the younger siblings that they're not allowed to do it when they're that age. I confess that I also am reluctant for DS to do a course because it will impact me & my time (helping him get oriented, checking his progress, helping him when he gets stuck, etc.). I have 3 other possibly more needful kids that get ignored and I really need to focus on them, or at least #2. It seems like #1 is so all-consuming and demanding, mostly because he knows how to be his is own advocate. Is every first child like that?