All GT programs are different. Will her lower WMI and processing scores hang her up? There is only one way to find out, have her try it. You can always take her out.

Yes, true. The one good thing about our GT program is once you are in, you are in. And you can move in and out at will through middle school.

We are having our first experience with gifted programming this year for math. It's 95% problem solving, 5% arithmetic and a lot of homework. Personally, I think it's an excessive amount.

I have issues with too much homework, but she would probably enjoy more math homework (vs more reading homework). Math is her favorite subject and she gets very, very frustrated with how slow the curriculum moves. She was causing problems during "math warm-up" (review) and the teacher finally let her do other stuff instead.

Long story short: the principal tried two grade skips, which together were disastrous because the challenge was still insufficient in certain subjects (esp. math), ds wasn't ready socially, and the receiving teachers were either suspicious of his abilities or indifferent to his needs.

Her poor social skills and relatively low processing skills make me very wary of a grade skip.

We moved him to a small private school that specializes in gifted ed. and has a very flexible curriculum. He's finishing his 3rd year there and announces almost every day, 'I love today!'.

Private school is not an option for us. We cannot afford it. DH was laid off in November and I am a SAHM-looking to re-enter the work force. He is consulting and making enough for us to live on, but it is very high COL here and we cannot commit to the price of private around here ($15K+ for elementary).

I would love to homeschool her, but DH does not agree. The testing may make him re-think that, but more than that I need to find a full-time job with benefits.

Last edited by BethG; 04/02/09 03:28 PM.

Mom to DD9 and DD3