Originally Posted by inky
This was a good article about multipotentiality in the Duke Gifted Letter.

Gifted individuals often possess the ability to do not one but many things at high competence levels. Students with this ability, however, may view their multipotentiality as a mixed blessing. When they hear that �they can be anything they want to be� or �they are lucky to have so many options,� the choices may overwhelm them, or they may feel pressure to become someone different from who they are. When speaking with children about career options, we should emphasize their individuality and help them chart their own career paths. While their intellectual ability may be high across the academic spectrum, multipotential students, like all students, have predispositions and preferences for certain subject areas.

http://www.dukegiftedletter.com/articles/vol6no1_feature.html

As a side note, I read this awhile ago and just cried... it described my feelings about my own choices and "gifts" to a T!!!

To the OP: Definitely look into getting a more rounded "education" in music for her... composition, music history, more advanced lessons (different teacher???). Maybe there's someone in your area who focuses on one type of music vs the other (i.e., with dance, you have so many options: contemporary, ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop, etc).

As far as her questioning her future education, I would highly suggest looking into other performing art schools with her as well. USC for example has a GREAT drama program, but it also is a good liberal arts college. Pick a few out with her, visit them, look over ALL the programs they have to offer. Jot down positives and negatives of each, etc.

Good luck!

PS. I hope DS5 & DD3 are that concerned with their futures in 7th grade! smile