Hi everyone,

I have had one child tested in which I had to pay for it. We decided to have the other tested two months later and insurance paid for it. The girls both had straightforward IQ tests. The difference between paying for one and not the other is that in the short months between, BCBS had pulled their behavioral health benefits back in house and had less restrictvie policies. For example, we used to be outsourced to Magellan. They didn't pay for much. I've also heard if the doctor is screening for ADHD insurance companies will pay, but I don't know about that. I was going to pay for the second child anyway, so when I was verifying benefits with the tester's billing service, she called the insurance and discovered all tesing services were paid in full. I was thinking I wouldn't get anything, but it never hurts to check again. She mentioned that more and more insurance companies were taking these services in house and there seems to be more instances when insurance is paying for the tests. I would recommend calling your insurance company if behavior health benefits are not outsourced and asking what they pay for in terms of testing. Better yet, see if your Dr./tester's billing company will do it for you. They know what to say and ask. I haven't tried to have insurance pay for achievement testing, so I don't know anything about that. I tend to ask a lot of questions and try not to take a simple no for an answer when it counts. The downside is I can be quite annoying and am annoyed myself quite a bit of the time.....:)

Incog