"If I understand correctly, they've changed the label to just AD/HD with a slash. There is no ADD anymore. Then, whoever is doing the diagnosis selects the subtype of which there are something like eleven." - Tried to quote from above - it didn't work -sorry.

Yes - the label was changed to ADHD to encompass both disorders in 1994. They actually include the word "disorder" at the end - though this is causing controversy - because a lot of people just think that the brains of people with ADHD work differently. This is also how many people with Asperger's see themselves - as different / extremely left brained - not disabled. I think its very annoying that so many books describe all these people with words such as disabled, disorder, problem - very negative terms to use. Pay atetention when you next read a book for description about these conditions that terms it that way. It makse me feel totally depressed. So guard your mind!!

I'm sure if I followed Daniel Amen's advice - that one parent nearly always has ADHD too - I would be the parent that has it. I was a hyper kid, and even if I were diganosed now, I wouldn't "buy into it". But, I can see that maybe drugs would help some people. Then again - a change of attitude also helps! And there's the really extreme lines of research that are perhaps too "out there" for some - like that book Biology of Belief - that claims DNA is a blueprint and can be changed and we can co-create changes in ourselves. So ....I would never just accept I had a condition and take drugs without thinking that through some more.

Last edited by IronMom; 03/20/09 07:35 AM.