Hi again!

I went to a GATE informational meeting a few weeks ago, so I can answer some of these questions.

1. For 3rd graders, I think it's 4 hours a week.
2. I don't think it's multi-grade, but I could be wrong.
3. Yes.
4. I'm not sure about this one. I'll need to ask.

My third grade daughter (not the one I've been talking about here) has been referred for screening by her teacher. Her teacher says that DD8 really needs the pull-out program because she's having trouble challenging her in class. DD8 was screened last year but did not do well on the NNAT group screener. She took an individual NNAT screener on Wednesday, and she was very confident about it this time. I hope that's a good sign.

So, you would suggest private testing for DD6 (the one we've been talking about)? The school administers an individual IQ test only if a student scores 14-16 points on the matrix and requires further evaluation. A student can score the required 17 points without ever taking an individual IQ test. My husband and I actually considered private testing last year for DD8 after she didn't pass screening. We felt that her score didn't reflect her true ability (particularly since she's highly verbal). The state of AL now only accepts private testing on a referral basis. A privately administered IQ test cannot be used to determine eligibility for gifted services. Screwy, huh? Is it still worth the money, though?