Hi Latichever -
Sounds like you have a good perspective on the situation. I'm glad you have built the type of relationship with your child where you can guide him to work at his readiness level at home. ((Applause))
Reminds me of the saying, "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself." Sometimes that's the best approach to use.

As for the school, there are potential landminds to "fighting" with a teacher in your son's awareness zone. ((I'm guessing that your son's awareness zone is fairly wider and subtler than expected for age.)) See Sylvia Rimm for more details, but even the brightest kid may interperet adults fighting with each other as "I don't have to respect the teacher, she is wrong and dumb." Even if this is true in this particular instance, the attitude may generalize into your son's view of all adults. I'm not suggesting that you accept this particular teachers perspective as "the professional who must not be challenged" but you may want to act that way for your child's sake, whenever you are in your child's view.

In a way you have two educational subjects:
1) Protect and develop his Math Talent
2) Model how adults interact when they have a difference of opinion.

Best Wishes,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com