Originally Posted by Lori H.
Originally Posted by Austin
If Gladwell were to survey the GT field, he would very quickly note that the majority of GT kids are falling through the cracks because there is no identification, no environment to support them, and the vast majority of parents are ignorant or just do not care.

Some of my son's gifted, public-schooled friends have talked to me about not feeling supported in their small town school and about teachers not caring if they wanted to learn more than what is going to be on the tests. They are all in band now and I think that is the one place where they do feel supported.

This is why I think parents of GT kids should just move into school districts where the districts get it. So much energy is wasted fighting alone for one kid, rather than working together to improve something that already exists. And the kids find kinship and a secure place to grow - and, importantly, so do the parents.

In Texas, if your son is good at football in the 7th/8th grade, then there are about a half-dozen places you live if you want him to progress with similar peers.

Yet, do we see the same thing in academics?