Originally Posted by minniemarx
Kriston, I'd be very interested in hearing what you did/are doing with geometry, if you have time, please.

Thanks!
minnie

Happy to help. smile

We used Painless Geometry by Lynette Long. I just checked the book out of the library, so we didn't use a workbook, if there even is one attached to the book (???)... There are a few challenge problems, which is what I used to check his understanding, and I made up my own if he seemed to need more practice. (I maybe did that twice in 2 or 3 months.)

It is "real" geometry, not that dumbed down "this is a square" stuff that passes for elementary school geometry. It used all the real terms and required logical and conceptual thinking. It was lighter on proofs than a normal high school geometry class, but was otherwise pretty much what I remember from geometry class.

My highly visual, puzzle-oriented DS(then)6 loved it! It was much more appropriate for him given where he was in math than trying to memorize times tables, which was the next step that any standard math curriculum would require. That just wasn't working. He had a 6yo's speed and memory capacity, but he also had a desperate need for higher level thinking. Geometry provided a lovely detour! laugh

If you decide to go the geometry route, I also strongly recommend working with pattern blocks, a bucket full of plastic or wooden shapes. Something like this: http://www.shopourchildren.com/browseproducts/Geometric-Pattern-Blocks.HTML

(Caveat emptor: I've never shopped this company and am not recommending them in particular--this is just the first good picture that popped up in my search!)

I got our set on sale, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made! They're great for geometry, fractions, squares/square routes, and multiplication/division work, but the kids also used them as toys, making their own Transformers and Bakugon characters out of them. For a solid year, they were out on my floor every single day for most of the day! They still play with them from time to time. A bargain at twice the price!

If I can help further, just let me know. smile

Kriston