Originally Posted by master of none
The principal says it wouldn't be fair to the other kids if he got to type. Also, we can't give him a computer for school because it opens up to cheating (school board policy).

My 10 year old son also has handwriting issues and would need to type if he ever went back to school. I am sure we would hear the same thing--that it is not fair to the other kids if he got to type.

I never understood this. Kids are allowed to use glasses if they need them to see so they can learn. Kids are allowed hearing aids if they need them so they can learn. My child has a handwriting disability that makes it impossible to work at his challenge level without typing so he needs this to learn.

Too many of our teachers don't understand that an appropriate education involves keeping the challenge level just right because if the challenge level is too great it causes stress and if it is not enough it causes boredom and loss of motivation.

Since my husband's highly gifted son from a previous marriage dropped out of school we already had experience with this loss of motivation problem. We could not let this happen to our son. When the principal and teachers told us we needed to homeschool because they couldn't offer an appropriate education and we learned that our state does not require an appropriate education for twice exceptional children, we had no choice. I don't think this is fair, but like my son once told me I have to deal with what is instead of what should be. I remember seeing the words "children should build on what they know" on the public school's website and then I realized there is a big difference between should and will. They never said children in their schools "will" build on what they know.

My special ed teacher friend and mom of two of my son's gifted friends understands learning differences and the fact that kids need to work at just the right challenge level. Why don't teachers get this when it seems like common sense to me? I think some of these teachers need remedial training. Maybe special ed teachers and OTs could teach the class.

Last edited by Lori H.; 03/01/09 09:47 AM.