If your son qualifies you really want an IEP.
Here are a few important differences between these two laws.

1. Section 504 does not require written plans.

2. Parents have few rights under Section 504.

3. The school does not have to invite the parent to the meeting when the 504 plan is developed. The school must notify the parent that a 504 plan was developed.

4. Section 504 has fewer procedural safeguards to protect the parent and child.

5. What appears to be discrimination may really not be discrimination.

6. Section 504 protections follows the child after s/he leaves the public school system. IDEA does not.

In many school districts how well a 504 plan works depends on the teachers implementing them. I have heard of many people who have them in place and nothing is done with them.

The Arc is the world�s largest community based organization of and for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. It provides an array of services and support for families and individuals and includes over 140,000 members affiliated through more than 780 state and local chapters across the nation. The Arc is devoted to promoting and improving supports and services for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

In our area they have an advocate specifically assigned to work with families with children in the public schools. Community Mental Health's Director of Family Services actually was the one to suggest that I contact them about my daughter. I had never heard of them myself before this and certainly wouldn't have thought to call them about a school situation.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader