We having a situation at our school that is really bothering me as a parent of a child in this school's gifted program. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas / suggestions that could help.

The third day of school my child brought home a notice that informed us that all the children in my child's SAGE program were going to be retested for SAGE because the former SAGE teacher had used a test that had a differant copyright date then the most recent copyright of this test. The test they took was the Cognitive Abilities Test. I went on the State Department of Education website and the Cognitive Abilities Test is one of State Board of Education approved tests. It Lists The most recent addition: Form 6, 2001 then states (previous editions may be used) Why are they putting my child through retesting? PREVIOUS EDITIONS MAY BE USED! If another child came in from out of state and passed a previous edition of the Cognitive Abilities Test, My child's school, by law, would HAVE to put them into the sage program. They wouldn't retest them - this is one of the Tests that they approve!

My concerns as a parent: My child is rather upset about having to retake the test. Please note at this point, she is doing 6th and 7th grade math and reading and has been in the sage program for the last 3 years. If she "Fails" this new test, it would be horrible for her emotionally and academically!!! She'll have to go back and do the math that she has done already! What about the children that have tested each year and finally pass, they think they'll be in sage this year and then retest and fail. What do you think will happen to these children? The school did tell us that even if the child does NOT pass the test -they say the kids can still remain in the SAGE program at the school. I have problems with this also. 1) The anxiety level when they first took the test wasn't that big of a deal because someone had said they were smart - but lets take this test to find out type of thing - they had nothing to lose. 2) Now that they have to retake the test the anxiety Level is extremely high - thinking that if they "fail" they are not considered gifted anymore and have lots to lose - she's been in the program for 3 years and knows the advantages of being in SAGE and 3) Even if they keep her in the SAGE program she's will not do her best if she "fails" this retest because anytime something comes hard for her and she finds challenging she'll have the attitude not to even try because she's not really gifted after all.

I have talked to the SAGE teacher, the principal, and the Lady that wrote the letter from the District. I explained to them why this would be so stressful for my child. I also told them that there was a big chance that she may NOT pass because of her anxiety level in taking this retest and that other kids would be the same way. I haven't really gotten anywhere! I'm not too sure where to go from here. Do you have any suggestions? I haven't been able to find the State Laws regarding testing once only, etc. Am I wrong in thinking this isn't good for my child? What if I get her tested outside of school with a State approved test. Would they have to accept her then?

I appreciate any help that anyone can give me in this matter.