Hi All,

I've just joined this forum after getting my kids' IQ scores back this week. I have one in the 99th percentile, and one in the 99.9th for their overall scores. The highest subset score for the one that is "only" in the 99th percentile is 99.7, so she doesn't qualify for Davidson's young scholars. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is anyone else dealing with kids of different abilities, and if it comes up (I take advantage of opportunities for my son that my daughter doesn't qualify for) how do I deal with it? I'm inclined to think it might be more harmful for her than beneficial for him.
2. Now I know I need to do something about the mindnumbing schooling. It's a charter school, and thus seems exempt from Georgia's mandated services for the gifted. Our neighborhood school is horrific, and the gifted magnet school doesn't start till 4th grade. I'm going to request grade skipping, and I've read "Genious Denied" and other research. Any advocacy suggestions? I think they thought me elitist when I tried to warn them that my son entering kindergarten was probably going to need something different (he'd started reading and doing multiplication) and was politely told the dismissive "we differentiate education for all children." Maybe the difference will be that now the are "certified smart" but I don't know. I am happy for the potential my children have, but unsure as to have to best continue to make sure they can meet that potential. And, frankly, it's a bit awkward to feel like I can't talk to friends about this, unless they happen to have really smart kids too. Anyone out there in GA (I'm in Atlanta)? The GA gifted group doesn't seem active.