TPS:The 'Transitive Property of Stupid.'

This is a logic error to which very young, unaccomidated, gifties are prone. It is occasionally seen in parents and teachers as well.

Here's what happend to us:
In 2nd grade, DS knew that he could think 'better' than the other kids because of all the teacher-comments, and even in 2nd grade, he could tell that the comments the other kids made were 'rudamentary' by his self-standards. However, because he was slow at things like 'looking words up in a dictionary' and Math facts, he felt that there was something wrong with him.

I think he saw it as the 'Transitive Property of Stupid.'

In DS's mind:
'If I think that kid over there is Stupid, and that kid can do an academic task much faster and more easily than I can, I must be really Very Stupid.

The other famous example comes from outraged teachers who 'can't believe that their classroom is below DS's readiness level' because he doesn't have the very best grades, or check his work and occasionally makes stupid mistakes.

The final example is the adult family member who doesn't think that they were/are gifted because their best friend in High School was smarter than they were. LOL! As if there could only be one gifted person in any given situation!

I guess we live in a society where talking about talents and aptitudes is so taboo, that we don't have a very nuanced vision of the various ways of being intelligent.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com