I have been accused of being unsentimental and would be fine to not make a big deal out of many events/Hallmark holidays. I can barely to remember to put tooth fairy money under the pillow (in fact, the tooth fairy has been sick or delayed a few times). My husband is much more attentive to these things. Neither of us have make a big deal of the grade-skips. I was tempted to recompense for A's, but my husband immediately stopped that idea with, "We don't reward them for something we expect of them." Similarly we don't pay allowance for chores but do pay them for things that are above/beyond (lawn mowing, shoe polishing, silver polish, special cleaning project, car wash, etc.--that I'd otherwise pay someone to do). The kids have had family birthday celebrations (dinner with grandparents, cake, and a few gifts) most years, with an occasional party inviting outsiders bowling or swimming. This is pretty reasonable since they're all summer birthdays and their school friends are usually out-of-sight at birthday time. I have to say I've disdained people for being too elaborate with birthday celebrations for kids...but I admire creativity. The limo ride for 10 yr old girls in ball gowns was too much for me, but I loved the well-thought out scavenger hunt one mom planned.

I definitely wish I were more creative and celebratory with house decorations to match the seasons, festive treats and dinners for the kids to remember "what we always ate on Easter", and establishing many traditions. Part of me rebels against traditions, always wanting something new and different (enchiladas on Christmas Eve last year). My husband's family always listens to a tape of a short story every Christmas Eve and I feel like I'm going to explode if I'm ever subjected to it again...I hate it, over and over and over. Not to mention it's a horrible recording, painful to listen to because of the static, and a rather dull story. I'd rather have new stories read each year or no stories and just great conversation. Finally (after about 13-14 yrs) I told my husband that I couldn't stand that "tradition" and wanted to change it--he pouted but complied.

Anyway, I don't know how I got onto all that, but I guess different people celebrate different things in different ways. I wouldn't presume to tell someone the "right" way, but I can say I wouldn't celebrate a grade skip...but that's just me.