I would like to solicit opinions of this forum regarding a possibly touchy issue.

A six year old child who we care for has just been grade advanced from 1st to 2nd grade. He learned to read at three and does so very well. I know that a one grade skip (especially 1st to 2nd) will not be a tremendous challenge for him and was needed. His parents were unsuccessful in their efforts to early entrance him to K and we are glad that he will be closer to his challenge level now.

Here�s where our concern lies. We sent an immediate congratulations via third party telephone (news was shared to third party in our presence), although we didn�t consider it an �accomplishment� other than for advocacy. That is, until we received an invitation to his �1st grade graduation party� which was held this past weekend.

We were relived in this instance that we are geographically unavailable because my husband and I both disagree with making a really big deal for finishing K, participating on a sports team, or even EVERY birthday, much less being placed appropriately in school. We believe many kids and adults have inflated self concepts and expect accolades for everything they do. Some even become resentful if their employers or instructors don�t treat them as if they are the center of the universe, as their parents had. This is pretty widely observed with others we speak with regarding the young adults entering the work force around here.

My greatest concern for this particular child is that I believe that a party complete with cake, gifts and checks for an �accomplishment� that was achieved without much, if any, effort could impede the development of intrinsic motivation. Our own children have yet to have a graduation of any kind, although my daughter will experience it this year as she leaves their K-8th school. BTW, I am not adverse to an 8th grade graduation event as it is at least a �milestone�.

Are we just uptight about these issues? How did you transition your child for a grade advance?