I hear you. I've wondered if it is just me... because I did find that one best like minded friend ... a best friend. And I've always viewed girls as having one. But to date, our oldest dd7 sounds like your son. A floater. We came close. When she was in a gifted group last year... but the girl moved. They still call and write. There are always kids saying they are here best friend but... well... Without a grade skip she may not really meet another like mind for a school friendship... or maybe it is still just the age thing. Different best buddies every day last year seemed the norm for all the kids.

????

It isn't a lonely thing for us - yet. But I did recently realize I was always telling her to compromise with friends. But then I realized what I was saying was 'do what your friend wants to do'. Because they don't get playing escape on the underground railroad and then work at a newspaper to tell the story to all.

And to vent on your dime here. I'm tired of giving polite questions to why she is in the grade she is in... or one sleepover guest asking why her spelling words were so long. They are just kids asking kid questions but when it is in front of your kid - inside you just what to smile and say - like it no big deal "honey her brain is just way older than her little body, now move along and eat this popcorn."

And I must now realize I'd be a horrid leader - I barely keep my kids names correct!!