Thank you so much for your reply. It is great to have a place to talk about this with people who understand and know so much more than me. Here is our background...

We are a blended family of six:
Husband was divorced with two sons (21 and 13)
My 1st husband died, we had one daughter (11)
We had 1 son together (the child in question...he is 6 and in 1st grade now)
We adopted two crystal meth children who have learning impairments (5 and 8)

From infancy, our son seemed different from the other children we had raised. He did everything very early. He knew over 250 words and spoke in complete sentences at 12 months. He also knew all his advanced shapes, such as pentagon, octogon, etc. After a thorough explanation of the process, he potty trained in one day...on and on. Everyone around us was amazed by his sense of humor and communication skills.

Other than reading to him, we did little to advance his learning, because we had just adopted the two crystal meth children and they had a lot of emotional issues (reactive attachment disorder, would hurt the animals, etc.).

When he started preschool, he started getting in trouble for not wanting to color, sort, and practice numbers. The teacher struggled with his strong will, but quit sending him to the administrators office, because he would charm the office staff and come back with stickers. So, he basically did his own thing, while the other children sat in a circle and sang songs.

In kindergarten he was introduced to letter sounds and learned how to read within a few days. He has since advanced to a third grade level in school (however, he prefers advanced biology books at home). After learning to read, he became "bored" and spent much of the rest of the year in the principals office for refusing do things like: use the red crayon to color the barn red, because he wanted to use magenta, which as he put it "was a form of red." As i look back, i think he was trying to make it more complicated so he could engage himself. The teacher saw him as a trouble maker.

First grade has been better, but he continues to opt-out of exercises he feels are useless, like gluing cottonballs to paper to make a cloud. He says he'd rather learn about subcumulous clouds, than making a cloud on paper. His teachers have been great about trying to keep him engaged, but he is clearly unhappy with the cirriculum. I started tutoring him at home with some 4th and 5th grade workbooks and he loves it.

We decided to have him tested because his father has an IQ of 145+ and went to John Hopkins when he was a child. We thought maybe there is some truth to the boredom issue and knowing what we were dealing with would help us solve the puzzle.

All that being said...what do you think? Am i dealing with a gifted kid? The tester felt like he was cooperative for the most part (except the processing tests). However, he has told me before he doesn't feel like he should have to prove what he knows...he considers that as wasteful an exercise as making a puffy cloud.