bk1 -
That's a wonderful victory. Sounds like you are making some headway.

I venture to guess that in every couple there is one who 'leaves denial behind' first.

It is a process.

I would strongly suggest 2 things:
1) Set up a playdate, to be supervised by DH, with a child who your son gets along with somewhat, who is as close to Normally Developing as you can find. A couple of hours 'close up' with a 'regular kid' can be an eye opener. This also sets the stage for suggestion 2.
2) Demand that DH be a classroom observer and watch what it's like to sit in school all day. Then DH will realize that the normal child who came over the other day isn't a 'horrible exception' - he's is the majority, and the target of the school's teaching.

It isn't unusual for Gifted Adults to look at their friends and family members and assume that they are all normal, except maybe for the one most obvious one. Then when faced with some normal product of a system aimed toward normal kids, they think that the system MUST be broken!

I wrote into a Parenting Magazine that the 'easy cure' for a 3 year old asking 'Why?' all the time, was to reply 'Nature' or 'Custom.' It worked for us and I really thougth that I had discovered something new and important. LOL! That suggestion went over like a lead ballon. ((shrug)) I just didn't understand!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com