Thank you all for your responses! This is all incredibly helpful. I didn't realize so many local parents would be here, this is great! mamaandmore -- um, our neighborhood school is also said to be one of the best in the county so yes, I'd like to hear your experience just in case it's the same one. (Maybe by PM if you don't mind sharing the name of the school.)

I am still wrapping my head around the testing. When we got the results I thought "oh, 150, OK, I can understand that, mine is probably not too much lower [my parents never told me for sure]. And I did fine in public school." My friend told me that the scoring scale was different now and sent me here in case I didn't believe her (lol), so... I believe now. But part of me says "treat the child, not the number" so I guess DH and I still have some thinking to do. We didn't think he'd score that high. I guess that's part of the denial you all talk about, eh?

And many thanks to those of you with language immersion experience. I still really, really like that idea. We will just have to see.