Welcome NCmom! I have heard that some gifted kids do well in language immersion schools early on, because the language slows them a bit, but then they start to show their extra fast learning skills and it's just like any other school. (Which means that HG+ kids will need some special accommodations in any school.) The upside is they will have picked up a second language.

As for gifted schools, if it's lottery, you will be getting a range of levels of gifted kids, and unless it's an HG school, your son will probably still need something different from the mostly MG kids that will be in the school. The thing to look for (in any school) is flexibility. If the school says that their curriculum is challlenging enough for all the kids and they don't ever need to accelerate, watch out.

From reading so many stories on HG kids here and elsewhere, it seems that you just have to prepare for the fact that you might need to make changes to your school situations periodically. Sometimes a school that is a wonderful fit for awhile may not work out the next year.

But it does sound like you have some wonderful choices. Good luck and sorry I don't have anything concrete. (My DS5 will be starting school in the fall too, so i can only retell others' stories so far.)

(And if I had been a faster typist i would have noticed NTMom's advice and skipped my repetitive comments!)

Last edited by st pauli girl; 01/22/09 09:57 PM. Reason: didn't see post ahead of mine