I hesitate to write on this thread b/c my knowledge is through some friends, but what LMom wrote hit so close to what one friend's daughter is experiencing I just wanted to add it. She is in a long line of Montessori students. Her dad's education was the Montessori program as well as all his siblings so he was very insistent on the school choice and the international guidelines. But she too is being pigeon held to the age range. She is ready to progress into the next level for a few areas but they won't let her continue because she is too young and if I am not mistaken it is the same logic of having to write the numbers before going on. Which I'm sorry but being able to write something is of a different ability. The sad thing is that even though he is complaining about the structure and holding her back, he is by no means ready to pull her out of the program and I really hope that decision doesn't hinder her.

All of this said I also want to say that I have heard very positive comments about Montessori school and from who all I heard both sides from I am coming to a conclusion that I think Montessori school is great for the ND or lower level GT kids but not necessarily the best option for HG+ b/c of the limits of acceleration.

And I too am under the belief of play based preschool being the best option for my DD 28 mths. My rational for it is she really doesn't need academic since she is far ahead (already equates to 1st grade curriculum in verbal and math) as it is and the reason we would even put her into preschool at this point is for socialization.

Anyway... that is my 2 cents for what it is worth since I don't have direct experience with Montessori schools.