I called CTY and they told me that I should talk to the professor who heads up the math department. I got his email and sent him a quick note. They also told me that, based on his scores, they felt he would start with the accelerated math for 4th graders (he is a 2nd grader) and then they would adjust as needed. I was told that the professor would have a more concrete idea as to where to place him.

I am also awaiting a call from the CTY counseling center. I was told that my call would be returned w/in 48 hours but who know with this being a holiday week.

Grinity - I am not aware of anyone else we know taking the SCAT. I am sure there are kids in my area but I haven't heard it discussed.

Our district does have a gifted magnet school. There are only 70 spots in each grade (beginning with 3rd). There generally is a lottery because more kids make the cut-off then there are spaces. There are waiting lists for every grade. They take the scores from the test the kids took in November - CogAT, ITBS. The scores should be available mid-January. I am not holding my breath for a spot. I want to be proactive, not reactive.