I've never heard of a school saying this! Very Good news!

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
She is not aware of anyone in our district testing at DS's levels, which I think is a positive.

I don't see any drawback to sharing the info with the Princ, but do realize that some school folk understand high IQ scores and some don't. More specifically, some have a mental picture of LOG, some are open minded enough to see LOG where it's there when they finally meet it, and some just can't help lumping the top 3% together.

Another positive is that the gifted coordinator said that there is law in our state requiring the district to provide appropriate education for identified gifties.

You may as well start looking around to see what the law actually says. When you met the lumpers (who see the top 10%, 5% or 3% all as one lump) you want to be ready with what the law says regarding the individual needs of individual students. This isn't something to bother your school about, but it's a nice excuse to meet the local Gifted Community, attend the state functions (if you haven't already) and set up a few playdates. Your State department of Ed website may have a few articles as well.

Also, she said she knows of out-of-the-box teachers in every grade of elementary, who she will recommend at sorting hat time. I piped up and asked if it is possible for us to recommend other kids who DS gets along with to also be placed in particular classes, and she said we could (no guarantees, but isn't that nice?).

This can make all the difference in the world! Yippee! Still, What works for one HG+ kid might not work for another HG+ kid, so still push, as time goes on, to observe the teachers working in the classrooms in advance, when it's time to pick 1st grade teachers.

She is also going to see if the principal will agree to let DS take MAP achievement testing when they test the other (older) kids in the spring (even though he won't technically be a student yet).

That would be amazing! I hope it happens. Your end of things is to start thinking about 'is my kid happy to learn independently, ok with a small group, or needs a whole classroom.' That way when his scores come back +2 or +3 years, you know what to ask for. Also, with MAP testing coming, be sure to hot house a little bit, so that, for example, he may know the concept of multiplication verbally, and be able to multiply a bit, but if he's never seen the 'x' on paper, he will confuse the MAP test big time. I'd leave a few math workbooks around the house or car of different levels so that he sees a variety of 'standard' Math questions in advance and can ask you 'notation' questions.

We still have some concerns, such as no official gifted programs until 3rd grade,

((Humor Alert)) I don't understand, do you mean to say that you think he isn't ready for a 3rd grade gifted program now? ((More Seriously)) Don't fall into the lumper trap...the only way to know is to observe, so brace yourself to ask for 'subject acceleration' in the gifted program as well. HG+ kids all have individual needs, but a pull out program that is designed to fit the needs of MG kids isn't likely to be very satisfing to an HG+ kid if he has to stick with his agemates. My Guess is that Kindy will go ok if they can create little groups of Math lovers and Reading lovers with a few high scoring MAP kids from various grades, and towards the middle of the school year, start observing the various options for gifted kid with an eye toward getting them to let him start the 3rd grade programs in 1st grade.

less than a handful of kids who have grade-skipped

To me, that any have grade-skipped at all is wonderful news, particularly if the staff had good experiences with these kids.

Congrats! Sounds like you are off to a good start. I love the 'follow up email' idea as well.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com