I had a conference with DS' teacher today. I'm a little confused since she never reported any difficulties to me. I see her almost every day at pickup time, and she sends home a weekly report which has always been a-okay.

She says DS has a short attention span (~20 mins) and tunes her out sometimes when she's teaching. When he's spacing out he fails to get his books out and move on to the next activity, so he is also disorganized. She says his writing is messy and she has been working with him one-on-one to fill in "holes" in his language arts such as the difference between long and short vowels. She says that DS is frustrated by these sessions and tells her that he "gets it" and wants to go back to his seat and work. He is rushed with his written work and forgets capitals and end punctuation. Still, he has an S in writing.

On the other hand, she says that DS has an S+ in reading, has all 100% on his AR quizzes at level 2.4-2.8 (she is planning to let him go up a level now), has an S+ in math and is on track to finish 2nd grade math by January. She will then allow him (and a few other kids in the class) to go on to third grade math, but they will have to use a textbook from several years ago because the third grade teachers don't want her to teach them from the current 3rd grade textbook. DS also has an S+ in science. She also told me that she likes having DS in class because he seems very excited about school, for example, when she introduced a new social studies unit he was very enthusiastic and engaged. (I'm thinking the key word here is "new"...)

She warned me not to push him ahead beyond his ability to function. confused

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to make of it all.