Hello Everyone,

Here is the situation - my son is in preschool and is very social. They are having a hard time with him because he would rather make the other kids laugh and is hard to focus. We chose to have him in preschool because we thought socially it would be a good idea, but he on the teaching side, he knows everything they are offering and so surely there is no interest there. The thing is, that even since he was wee he has been so internally focused and at times it is hard to get his attention or to be heard. Even as a baby he was always looking around and was less interested in me and eye contact with me, then the outside world. I notice with other kids his age he seems to relate differently to each other - the way he communicates with them seems less developed to me at times? He just does not always seem to be focused when in conversation with them, and yet this same child was reading at 2 - could go on and on about all that he has demonstrated. I don't know a lot about development of gifted children.
Because he is hard to focus in class, the school is suggesting bringing in a Special Ed counselor to observe him and offer info about teaching environment for him. It is just a suggestion but it upsets me and I do not think this is in the right direction because I don't believe that he can be fully understood by someone who has not had experience with gifted kids. I feel upset and alone in all this. I just want to know if anyone else who has gifted children has had anything like this occur? I wish we had the funds to have him in Montesorri - or perhaps a preschool with more one on one - I don't know what the answer is... Thanks for those who have thoughts or advice.
So grateful.

Last edited by seattle; 11/06/08 04:19 AM.