We have had a similar problem finding things for our ds. Although he is older than your ds, here are a few selections which I think stretch down to the range you are trying to hit - Good luck!

Great Rhyming one for Halloween or anytime: - Frankenstein makes a sandwich - you and your ds will be ROFL!! (We were, and I don't think it's just because we're odd smile )

Also, for more poetry fun: Prelutsky's 'Pizza the size of the Sun' and 'It's raining pigs and noodles'. They are silly, silly, silly, and text and pictures are very cool too.

Calvin and Hobbes - you might find your ds sleeping with these - we have bought a few compilations and they are at the library as well. I think they have helped in ds quest to develop his sense of humor.

Riddle books, though I don't have a specific one I can recommend off the top of my head.

I second wholeheartedly Captain Underpants - my ds enjoyed hearing these over and over from ages 4-6 and then re-read them himself many times from 7-8. They are pretty thoughtful, hilarious and very supportive of that 'more imaginitive' child...fun illustrations which break up the text into bite-size chunks.

Throw into the mix Franny K. Stein, Little Girl Mad Scientist - DS loved these as well, nearly as much as C. Underpants.

DS also loved Shel Silverstein; The Missing Piece is a big fav; he still cracks up when he gets to the part which was 'too pointy'. Great simple, funny drawings.

Just curious if he goes for music, and if so, what sorts?

Last edited by chris1234; 10/29/08 02:00 AM.