Originally Posted by Kriston
To tell you the truth, I'm probably *really learning* some of the concepts--not just the heuristics for getting an answer--for the first time, even though I got nearly all As in math all through school. It's not until you have to teach someone that you really understand something!

I too am learning new things (not math that would take a while) but there are things in CyberEd I didn't known about or remember them anymore. BTW play-doh comes quite handy when explaining how mountains, canyons, plateau etc. are created.

The boys and I are all used to the routine now, and they play by themselves enough that I do okay. Plus I feel more relaxed about what we're doing, so I suspect I'm not wound quite as tightly as I was last year. That helps a lot.

Good to hear that things are working out. I hear you on DH not being home, lots of business trips here lately frown

Yes, we still plan to send DS4 to K next year. He adores his pre-K, which is apparently more academic this year than it was last year. (I didn't know that when I signed him up.) But he doesn't know how to read yet, so it seems to be hitting him where he is, so that's okay. I think K will be much the same.

I think as long as a big chunk of school time is spent by learning new things (reading and writing) then he will be fine. Plus you have a half day K. Can you ask for the same teacher?

Finally, I'm still not sure how well I would do as DS4's teacher. His personality is a lot more challenging for me. I don't think it would be easy on either of us. Plus his being an extrovert who needs a lot of people around means that school might really be a better fit in his case.

I hear you, DS4 is very different from DS6. He is quite a clown but also very stubborn. He does anything and everything to get his way. He has been like that since I can remember. I am sure we would run into problems like we run into problems with DS6 except they would be quite different and it would be like starting from the beginning.

So are you going to HS DS4, too, LMom? Have you made that decision?

We haven't really talked about that but I believe it's what both DH and I expect at this point. I don't want to make any plans for next year, we all know how it works with gt kids. What I plan now may be useless a few months down the road. One thing is sure, DS4 would be a huge misfit in K. He reads really well now and lately he is just going through what I call an academic spurt. He is not as mathy as his brother was at this age, but he is the kid who needs to know how everything works and loves to make connection between different information. You know the engineering type wink May be we can compare notes one day. You tell me what DS7 liked and I will use it for DS4 and vice verse wink

BTW If you teach n! include a lesson about permutations as well. He will love it. It would go nicely with how fast 2 grows when you start doubling it.

Last edited by LMom; 10/15/08 07:45 PM.

LMom