I believe scouting value will vary greatly based on the troop leader and other troop members.

I was not impressed by the Boy Scout group in our area. It seemed to be more about the dads than the boys. The leaders (beyond troop level) were extremely rigid and some quite weird.

In contrast, my daughter has been in Girl Scouts since her second year of K. (Public schools made her repeat after a very successful year in private K because she missed the age requirement by six weeks.) She had a very large and active troop at public school. When we moved her to Catholic school for a grade advance, her troop put on a single bridge ceremony just for her. Her present troop (last 5 years) is also extremely active. I could not have hand-picked a better group of friends for her. They are centered, charitable and high achieving thirteen year olds (she and another girl are twelve).

They just returned from an extended trip that included a few sites in Chicago, camping in Michigan and an overnight stay and tour of Norte Dame. The troop co-leaders were gushing about the fact that there was no bickering, or posturing or exclusion. I am extremely glad that she has stayed with scouting. I think it has helped shape her.