My sons have all done scouting, but the two oldest lost interest, one at the Webelos level and one at about first class level of Boy Scouts. Perhaps with more encouragement from parents they would have continued, I don't know. My youngest son is now a Cub Scout. My daughter was also a girl scout. I think they get a lot out of it, if the group you are in is run well.

As for Eagle Scout, I think that it is not necessarily an advantage on your resume, if the person interviewing you has NO idea what it takes to become one. As for the boys who "make it", I think that there is something qualitatively different about them. The boys I know who have made Eagle Scout rank, friends and extended family members, are young men who have a certain self-motivated drive. They are able to choose a path and stick with it. I have never met an Eagle Scout who did it only because their parents pushed or someone else told them to do it. I think that's why so many of the higher ups in leadership are Eagles. It takes a lot of self-directed intrinsic motivation to succeed in the work world. It isn't necessarily the smart ones who make Eagle, but it is definitely the achievers. I think it's the personality that makes the Eagle. Some have it, some don't. No judgement, just the way it is. My oldest is such an underachiever there is NO WAY he was going to stick with Scouts. Just no interest. I think Eagle Scout appeals to the boy who is driven intrinsically to challenge himself and feel that pride in personal accomplishment. And I think that's what makes a great leader - that internal drive. So to me it makes sense that so many leaders are Eagles.