I am a frequent reader of college confidential. I enjoy reading both students and their parent's posts. A lot of kids post their stats online asking if they are good enough for the school of their dreams. One thing that I have noticed, a curious thing, is the fact that in the extrs they rarely put eagle scout.
I have heard that only 3% of the boys that ever tried scouting become eagle scouts, on the other hand apparently 90% of people who work in leadership positions (government, CEO etc.) do have eagle scout badge under their belt. One of the physicians that I work with it considers the fact that he is an eagle scout a deciding factor in his admission into med school - the interviewer was also an eagle and they talked mostly about scouting :-)
Do you think being an eagle matters when it comes to your extras? Are your sons on the path to become eagles? Why yes and why no?
My DS has been is Scouting since first grade, he enjoys it tremendously. I don't know if he has it in him to go all the way, but I sure like it when he hikes up the steep waterfall canyon with all the gear on his back and doesn't complain at all :-)
Ania