Originally Posted by willagayle
oh and we are thinking about using the CTY math course, if he qualifies, and having him opt out of math at school. That opens up time for them to work on other things and also gives him a better chance and progressing in math.

they Ihis IEP team) still think that because his WISC verbal score was soooooo high and his perceptual reasoning is sooooooo low (average really at 90 something) he is an idiot in math. I haven't been able to get them to understand he's pretty smart in math, too.

That said, to clarify, he got an A in math this quarter in his gifted cluster math group and scored in the 81st percentile on the standardized test. This was without using a pencil and paper. Goodness only knows why he decided NOT to try and write the problems out. Plus when you look at last years scores...in the 31st percentile...then that 50 percentile point gain is amazing. I know he's quite good at conceptual math skills, but he has no rote memory ability. Rite was the same way. He just struggled in math for years because of rote memory issues, now he's skipped 2 grade levels and is considered the best in math in his grade. So, I'm just waiting for Mite to blossom, too.

The ITBS prep course isn't a course, really. It's a prep package you can buy online. I just googled that phrase and found loads of them ,but I can't remember which one we had. Ours was a cd course.

Willa Gayle