I haven't read all the posts..... but actually I am an expert in this area!

While this may come as a shock, art is a very academic subject and can be taught. Just like any subject in school, there are kids who are gifted and kids who are regular and kids that lag. Gifted kids in art may not be gifted in other areas, or they maybe, there is no real relationship. For some people who have issues with verbal communication it can offer an outlet. Which can become finely honed. Image a person who can't see, maybe there hearing gets better..... A person who can't write or speak, may learn to draw better because it's all they got! This is why a lot of people who have "learning disablities" end up in the art field.

In most of my Art education classes, I was asked to read Howard Gardeners 7 different intelligences. (I was never asked to read this in any other education class I took)

so...........Yes! You can sometimes tell which kids are somewhat ahead by there drawings, as long as they are basically normal nerualogically speaking. This is taught in Art Education classes. And after you see a few 100 pictures for each age group, you will pick up on patterns.... Now of course you must recognize that most of the kids that are gifted, are not what is considered nerulaogically adverage. That's why they can read at 2. So, because of this gifted kids are sometimes exceptions!

I once taught art to a 7th grade class of kids. There was a boy who was doing college algraba and high school science..... he drew like a 4 year old. It was partly fine motor, and partly he just wasn't really able to think in pictures. He reported he thought in numbers and in words. As an art form he was gifted in music. He took the art class for a girl he liked.... I gave him an A because while his work was pathetic, he worked very hard on it and did show improvement. He was very mature and a great kid!

Sorry this is so long, but because my knowledge is in such a nitch area, i don't often get to espouse on it. Wow! It feels good!