MrWiggly was first exposed to the word "gifted" as he looked over my shoulder while I was reading Dr. Ruf's book. He asked what I was reading, read the title and then said "what are 'gifted children?' I told him that the term referred to kids who learn easily and are often ahead of other kids in their grade level. To which he stated "oh, like me." And I said, "yeah, like you." And he said, "so I'm gifted?" and I said, "yup." And he said, "Cool" with a smile and then went off to play.

That was my experience. He now is in third grade and participates in the pull out program which is, at our school, called "The Gifted Program." Ain't no way to hide it now!

The issue seems to be what to call it not whether or when to tell the kids. They already know they are different. They just need a name to it, I think. So they can better understand the differences. We are dealing with the "smartest kid in the class" syndrome and for that reason really want to heed Dr. Ruf's advice to get MrWiggly more involved with kids at his level. He is getting a big head not because he knows he is gifted but because there's no one else as gifted or more so around him.

Dr. Ruf also suggested the book Gifted Kids Survival Guide for ages 7 - 10 years old. I've yet to get it but she encouraged us to own it and read through it with MrWiggly. Anyone else ever used the book?