I think it's best to tote up the numbers yourself and read the explainations and ask questions here on anything you aren't sure of. Then share it with the Principal before the meeting, saying "Golly, I thought you might find this fasinating." You might tote along "Nation Decieved" to the meeting.

You basic argument is that you know everyone wants what is best "overall" for the child, and that includes "learning how to learn." Then you show work he has done (in school or at home) that compares to the "end of 2nd grade standards" in each subject. Even if handwriting isn't up to par, (common issue, comes with time, or not) I still believe that putting a child in a classroom where he has no hope of learning something new, is a problem. Unless they are suggesting that he spend 60% of his time in the GATE program, then that wouldn't ge expected to compensate for the "no new material" problem. Third grade is still young enough to make friends without the gradeskip being much of an issue, and there is less damage to undo.

It reminds me of the Golden Rule - would any of them want to go back and take a class that they already knew almost all the material?

Best Wishes,
Trinity
BTW - I did all that, was refused, switched to a private school, and then got the skip a month after school started, into 6th. Son is happier than he's ever been.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com