I am seriously considering a grade skip for my HG/EG son for next school year (he's in 1st grade now and I am looking to skip him 2nd onto 3rd); although he already goes out twice a week for 3rd grade reading, and was already granted special permission to attend GATE classes, he still complains of being bored during class times. He's gotten up to the board several times to "teach" his classmates how to add 2 digit numbers (he already knows multiplication and adding 3-4 digits in his head), and he passed the reading comprehension intended for high school students regarding plastic surgery when he was back in Kindergarten. As I've heard that 2nd grade will mostly be a recap of things they learned in 1st grade, I feel that perhaps a 3rd grade environment will provide more challenge for him.

However, the principal seems to be a bit held back on the idea of grade skipping this early in elementary school, and would rather we increased the number of times he goes to GATE rather than skipping him.

We will be setting up a meeting sometime this week, and I would like to be prepared with points on how to best come to a decision/agreement on how grade skipping might be a good choice for my son. I already bought the Iowa Acceleration Scale manual, and will be toting that along to the meeting (how does that work exactly? do I add up the "points" or do they?).

I'm curious on how others here have advocated for grade acceleration for their kids, and what the effects have been.

Thanks much for the input!