Thanks for your response.

To be honest, I didn’t expect him to get an IEP. Neither did the psychologist. What I don’t like is mainly the mis label on the 504. I would be more comfortable if any of his actual diagnoses were the reason for the 504. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t write an actual diagnosis as the reason for the 504 and replace it with some thing that he doesn’t have a diagnosis of.

I understand that his grades are high, and he’s performing at grade level or better, and that may disqualify him from an IEP. That’s why I didn’t expect him to get an IEP.

Do I think he has actionable goals to work toward? Absolutely. He’s working with the private Speech Language Pathologist and they have established goals. He is working on understanding the writing process. And applying the writing process. And demonstrating that he can write all different kinds of compound sentences.

We have a comprehensive psych evaluation from a licensed psychologist that specializes in gifted and 2E. I don’t really know what else I could provide that would provide more proof of a disability. I even have additional assessments from the private speech language pathologist that also confirm poor performance in written expression.

I sought out the support from the speech language pathologist for him. I did this because I didn’t expect the school to provide that targeted support. I am willing to work with him at home and support his writing, but his needs really seem to require the knowledge of an expert. He often resists and fights doing any kind of writing. He’s more willing to show his emotion and frustration with me, than with a professional like a teacher or therapist. He has had a lot of resistance over homework that requires writing, having this therapy weekly, provides support for homework. Because of the giftedness, and the very specific holes in his written expression, it’s really helpful to have someone who knows how to target those skills.