My son is gifted and has a diagnosis of written expression disorder. He also has deficits in working memory and writing fluency.

We recently provided the psychologists report to the school and asked that he be evaluated for an IEP, and if he didn’t qualify for an IEP to put a 504 in place.

The school did not think he qualifies for an IEP.

They did give him a 504 plan. The boxes they checked for the 504 were for concentration and ADHD. He was evaluated for ADHD over the summer at a private psychologist and did not meet the criteria for diagnosis. The school has the report.

We set him up with private therapy from a Speech Language Pathologist with special interest in 2e kids. So far this has been going well. He works with them on organizing his thoughts for writing and gets support on writing homework.

I have since learned that my insurance will only cover 20 SLP visits per year. I feel like he’d benefit from having SLP support all school year - closer to 45 visits.

Here are my questions for the community:

1. Do you know of any funding we can apply for to help us cover the cost of SLP? It’s going to cost us about $2000/yr. He would definitely qualify for 2e grants if such a thing exists.

2. Have any of you had your child qualify for a 504 based on a diagnosis they don’t have? It feels weird to me, but it does put in some important accommodations for him: extra time on tests and assignments, graphic organizers, use of computer to complete assignments, etc. I’ve shared this with a few contacts and they said they think they didn’t write in his true disability diagnosis b/c the school didn’t identify it through the IEP process.

I’m looking for input and different perspectives …. Thank you!