I found this link on hoagies, while searching for advice for discipline for DS4, who seems to be extra challenging lately. Very interesting article! Especially this part, since I had a very fussy baby who loves books:
What Your Child's DNA Can Tell You About Parenting

Quote:
One of the strongest and most counterintuitive findings in this nascent field is that children with a sweet temperament, which is under strong genetic control, are the least likely to emulate their parents and absorb the lessons they teach, while fussy kids are the most likely to do so. Fussy children have a hypersensitive nervous system that is keenly attuned to its surroundings�including what Mom and Dad do and say. In studies that are shaking up textbook dogmas, Jay Belsky of Birkbeck University of London has shown that fussy babies are therefore wired to be more strongly shaped by their parents than mellower children are. It is the fussy baby who, read to night after dutiful night, is likely to develop a love of books; the mellow baby, given the same literary diet, might just as easily grow into a teen who has no interest in reading anything longer than a text message. End Quote

Of course, after reading this article, I could just skip searching for the discipline books and conclude that i have one of the kids who that stuff doesn't work on...(i'm sure i mentioned before that i'm pretty lazy?)

Oh, and there's also info in this article about how some kids are genetically immune from the potential IQ-raising effects of breastfeeding.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/05/08 06:28 AM.