I don't have a child with any learning exceptionalities, of the struggling sort.

Though there is a K-8 school in Manhattan that provides full integration. They have wheel chair access, so they can accommodate anyone. So children without, spend 2 or 3 years from K-8 in a integrated classroom. There is only about 8 -10 kids in the class. There are teaching assistants for all children that need it. There were high tech computer mice for children, who can't move, to use. This was a dozen years ago. It takes a lot of money and should be concentrated in a few schools, just like gifted programs, otherwise the resources are not as good.

I just think that they need to equalize opportunity by improving tech and wifi in schools. So that any child can get access to online programs, if they have the interest and ability.

In the article, it was mentioned that Fieldstone offered about 5 science classes for 11th and 12th graders. Astrophysics, etc etc. But now kids can do coursera. DD has done oceanography and marine science courses in coursera. (thanks Bostonian for bringing that up in some discussion) She can do AP Chinese as a self study because there is preply. (that does cost money for a tutor) but it is an example that there are many options now out there.

As for having one child. I was older, no success earlier, hence more than one was just not an option. But in hindsight, one has taken a lot of energy, though I provided so many different extracurriculars and travel. We have a dog, going to be 12 this summer. She started out the first year with problems. Thought it was kidneys, turned out to be diabetes insipidus. So lot of tests, leaking problems all over. And she was a frisbee dog and two years ago had spinal surgery, and it just goes on and on. Luckily I bought insurance when she was 7. But it takes a lot of time and care to deal with all her stuff. Just this past week, she had a cyst taken off her ear (after it grew back from being removed last year) and had a little "liposuction" to grow stem cells to try and help the degeneration in her shoulder. And there are many other things-- due to frisbee related trauma on her body. I do not know how someone deals with stuff with their kid. I cannot imagine the effort and stress it must be to provide accommodations for their child when they need it to optimize their abilities.

I think that that I am overboard in what I try and provide for my child. We have extended family where the parents put all 6 kids in soccer. Two oldest boys got free rides at a very good school with soccer recruitments. She asked me how I got DD into sailing. I said I had sailed as a kid and it was just one of the things I had her try. She has made a TV commercial, she has come second in a ballet pointe competition, she has won speech and debate competitions, done well in DECA. She then narrowed her focus on tech, sailing and marine science but she knows what she likes and doesn't like. And at 15, she had been to all 7 continents. I could do this with one kid.