Originally Posted by knute974
Also, particularly in elementary school, there seems to be high value placed on speed and competition. Someone who gets the right answer in 2 seconds is "obviously smarter" than the kid whose brain processes more slowly and spits out the same answer in 6 seconds. I don't know how your daughter presents but if she is not a speed demon she also is unlikely to be recognized as needing something different. My DD was not a speed demon, she was a deep thinker. Her abilities were not recognized until we moved her to a dedicated gt classroom and even then, they didn't want her to get too far ahead of the rest of the class.

Bingo! I have one who is a particularly slow deep thinker, and this is a big issue for them. The tendency to notice and celebrate the fast kids (and the kids with great memories) seems most pronounced in primary school, and most pronounced in math, but it comes out in other domains. I distinctly remember being told by the yr2 teacher: "I know that if they put their hand up and I wait long enough they'll have something really interesting or useful to add to the discussion.... But they take so long to form their thoughts and say something that I don't call on them because everyone else needs a chance to talk and I don't have time".

I have another child who is EG/PG in the verbal domain (both IQ and achievement DYS level scores) but also no scores below the 94% on the last WIAT, so relative weaknesses but no academic problems. Compared to my child mentioned above they are not nearly so pronounced about being "slow thinking" and yet they feel stupid, and bad at math (it's true math was the lowest score on the WIAT). The main thing they talk about is being slower than the smart kids who are "so good" at math. And it's fairly clear that the kids who are good at math ARE the only "smart kids" and also that "good at math" = "fast at math"... Primary school is so much about basic skills and rote learning. Certain kids of gifted kids do not ace this at all.

Originally Posted by knute974
If and when she does start to show her abilities, it may not go as you expect. At the end of 6th grade, the students in my DD's gt class took a math placement test for middle school. My daughter came home upset and embarrassed because she was still working on the exam long after the other students were done. Later, her teacher told me that DD got the highest score on the test by a wide margin over her gt classmates and that most of the kids didn't even attempt the last portion of the exam. My DD had interpreted the length of time that she took on the exam as a sign of failure when it really was an indication of her greater understanding of the material.

This reminds me of two things a psychologist said to me some years ago "I can often spot a gifted child is by how long they think before answering" and also, directly from one of the children's reports: "A need for precision in thinking and expression - A student who answers questions with ‘that depends’... is a first clue of extreme intelligence."