I agree with the other posts. I just want to point out that gender may also be an issue. Others have alluded to kids who want to blend in. Linda Silverman wrote an article specifically about gifted girls "blending in" because they don't want to appear different from their peers. It's at least 20 years old by now. There are probably more current articles on the topic.

My DDs are 20 and 18 now so my experience is from several years ago. They are both quantitatively gifted. I noticed when they were in elementary school, there was a very strong stereotype that if the kids are gifted, the boys are gifted in math and the girls are gifted in language. When I attended our school district's gt department's parent seminars, I would hear some version of that "wisdom" in almost every presentation. These same presenters usually did a gt teacher training during the day and then the parent version in the evening. So, I have to assume that the teachers were getting training that constantly used examples about how to challenge boys who were gifted in math but never mentioned girls. I am guessing that if your DD is not showing any of her abilities at school, there is a strong bias that she is a typical math student even if you have testing to the contrary.

Also, particularly in elementary school, there seems to be high value placed on speed and competition. Someone who gets the right answer in 2 seconds is "obviously smarter" than the kid whose brain processes more slowly and spits out the same answer in 6 seconds. I don't know how your daughter presents but if she is not a speed demon she also is unlikely to be recognized as needing something different. My DD was not a speed demon, she was a deep thinker. Her abilities were not recognized until we moved her to a dedicated gt classroom and even then, they didn't want her to get too far ahead of the rest of the class.

If and when she does start to show her abilities, it may not go as you expect. At the end of 6th grade, the students in my DD's gt class took a math placement test for middle school. My daughter came home upset and embarrassed because she was still working on the exam long after the other students were done. Later, her teacher told me that DD got the highest score on the test by a wide margin over her gt classmates and that most of the kids didn't even attempt the last portion of the exam. My DD had interpreted the length of time that she took on the exam as a sign of failure when it really was an indication of her greater understanding of the material.