If I Google how many adults in the US identify as Christian the answer is that in 2019 65% of those polled identified as Christian of fractional under 2/3. It seems reasonable then the 2/3 of homeschooling parents would identify that way. While the parents may state religion as one reason for homeschooling it does not follow that religion is the primary or deciding reason. I am on forums in the US and in a Christian homeschool group in the NZ and acquainted with a lot of non Christian homeschoolers. I haven't heard one give religion as the main motivation. I am sure in some places their are a lot of fundamentalist Christians homeschooling for reasons of religious conral but whatever Harvard claims it is not 90% and it is not 2/3 either.

Kids here don't do annual testing or well checks if they are at school so it would be pretty unfair to make home schoolers do them. Not do we have charter schools or portfolios. What we do have to have is an exemption certificate for any child not attending school who is between 6 and 16. These aren't hard to get but a reasonable amount of effort and research is involved and the Ministry do have to be convinced your child will be taught as well and as regularly as at school. Other than that you have to sign and return a declaration twice a year.

Last edited by puffin; 04/22/20 12:30 AM.