Originally Posted by MumOfThree
Originally Posted by puffin
I am sure it happens and I know it happens. But that makes people and parents and teachers. It does not mean homeschooling is bad. And it is about the parents choice as well. I choose not to deal with the rubbish that comes from my younger child attending. At this point even if he wanted to go back I would say no because in my judgement any benefits he saw in it would not outweigh the problems it would cause the whole family.

I share your painful aversion to the horrid impact that a difficult schooling arrangements have on our whole family, and especially me as a mother. At times I feel there have been school dramas have had more impact on me than the child (and they have all been damaged by schools, but sometimes an issue that is not that big for one child involves navigating three children's worth of baggage with school and is really hard work as parents).

But while I lacked aquinas' eloquence and clear insight, as soon as I read her points I thought "Yes, EXACTLY!". It IS about the rights of the child. I live in fear of dealing with school/s again, but if my homeschooled child wants to go back, and I am sure they will want to go back, I think that is their right, and part of what I signed up for as a parent: to pave the way for that to be as successful as possible. I just hope I get a bit more time to breath first... And hopefully find a situation that will suit my child and been less painful for us as parents to navigate and advocate through.

But sometimes it is our job as parents to make decisions on behalf of their child. The vast majority of parents send their kids to school without thinking about what the child would prefer. In fact most of the time when kids complain it is pushed aside. People generally don't claim it is every child's right to homeschool if they choose no matter how difficult it is for everyone else.