Originally Posted by pinewood1
Originally Posted by MumOfThree
I have to say that I think there are significant risks to unregulated homeschooling and I am very glad that we do have some checks and measures in place. I would hate to see it banned, but I do have concerns that there are homeschool children considerably at risk and am quite comfortable with the level of regulation we had in the more rigorous state.

I agree.

Reading those links, it looks like there is one person who is advocating for a ban, and the rest are advocating for better oversight. Which I am 100% in favor of.

I was homeschooled and have known a lot of other people who were homeschooled, and the best situation I personally witnessed in a homeschooling family was that all of the daughters were flagrantly educationally neglected, and all the children were given work from a very low quality fundamentalist curriculum. Many parents (including mine and my partner's) used homeschooling as a way to cover up abuse, because homeschooled children don't come into contact with many mandated reporters. (My parents would have told you that they were homeschooling me because I was PG and the schools wouldn't have given me a suitable education; in fact, they were sexually abusing me, and I would have received a much more thorough education in a public school. I had to teach myself to write and to reason about abstract ideas, behind their backs.)

This site has a lot of stories from abused and neglected homeschooled children. I don't think what I've witnessed is out of the ordinary in any way.

I'm so sorry you experienced abuse at the hands of your family, pinewood, and the betrayal of a system that didn't protect you. Thanks for speaking up and sharing this sensitive personal story. smile

I think you're right that homeschooling is a cover for abuse for a not insignificant group of fundamentalist families, and I worry about how many children are being hurt as a result.

What is to give light must endure burning.