Originally Posted by philly103
If she continues to unreasonably defer on something that fundamental she is losing time for actual advocacy.
As of this moment, the parent may be unprepared for "actual advocacy."

And her child will suffer for it.
It is my observation that children are more likely to suffer if parents rush in, unprepared, and (to use an old expression) shooting from the hip.

As for the rest - that’s what a meeting is for. Insisting on a meeting does not mean insisting on a course of action from the school. The meeting can be a chance to have a serious dialogue, a way to establish the relationship, to learn the teacher’s approach in a more direct conversation than back and forth emails.
A meeting may serve this purpose if the parents are well prepared for advocacy, understanding laws, policies, assured that the family is of one mind, has backup plans, etc.

Lastly, the power differential is not as lopsided as implied. Public schools are bound by far more rules than privates. They are often obligated to do certain things upon parental request. Ideally, the 2 groups can work it out on their own but if not, the parent has tools.
The parent has tools if they have studied advocacy, know the laws, policies, etc...

But as with all such things, time is important. There’s little value in delaying a conversation with the teacher and establishing that you intend to be involved.
We agree that time is important. The parent's best use of it is to learn about advocacy, if they have not already. The parent has already signaled intent to be involved.

This is my last post in this thread. I have no interest in derailing it on what is clearly a difference of opinion.
Possibly a vast difference in level of experience, resulting in different opinions on crucial advice such as whether a parent ought to begin by "demanding" a meeting or begin by studying advocacy approach and strategy. I have a strong interest in providing parents with the best possible foundational knowledge base in hopes of them advocating wisely and not sabotaging their own efforts by "smacking the oobleck with a spoon, creating an unyielding solid."