Originally Posted by indigo
Originally Posted by philly103
I’ll say that I don’t like that answer. It sounds like she’s blowing you off. I would restate that you’re asking for a meeting and demand, politely, that she give you a date.

I’ll leave it to others to get into what to take into that meeting. But I will say to check your state’s laws on IEPs. Even if there’s no gifted program, you might still be able to demand an evaluation from the school district and whatever accommodations come with that.

My state doesn’t do gifted until 2nd or 3rd but they’re still required to honor a request for an IEP from the day you enroll in kindergarten.

There’s usually a body of education law that specifically governs that stuff. What state are you in, if you don’t mind me asking?

Dear happynerd, a few thoughts...

1) Please read up on advocacy, please do not go kicking the proverbial hornet's nest by "demanding." Take time to prepare yourself well. Know what your goals and next steps are.

2) You do not need to post your state, or any other information, on this forum in order for others to be able to assist you. Please be aware that many more read the forums than post here. In posting answers to questions others may ask you, you may allow your child to be identified. Instead, consider starting here to seek your State Laws.

3) A great source for information on IEPs is Wrightslaw.
Here is one link: Writing Smart IEPs
A brief roundup on IEPs, here.

She asked for a meeting. The response she received is that the teacher would keep it in mind. That is not kicking the hornet’s nest. When a parent asks for a meeting, the proper response is to schedule the meeting or inform the parent that a meeting will not be scheduled and tell them why.

When the response is noncommittal then the parent needs to be more direct about what they’re asking for.

This parent is very clear about what she wants. She stated that she would like to talk about independent math work for her son. I think plenty of people can advise her on how to conduct the meeting but all of that is secondary to actually getting the meeting or getting an explanation for when such a meeting can occur.