The KTEA-3 Brief is probably being recommended as part of a standard battery for reevals. On the one hand, reevals only have to be in the suspected areas of disability, and he's been identified as having SLD-written expression, so the non-writing parts of the KTEA wouldn't necessarily be relevant. And his effective progress in mathematics is clearly high. On the other hand, I have seen more students than I would like have their IEPs terminated in middle school because their identified area of disability was grossly remediated, but other areas of deficit were not identified, due to evaluation in only the previously identified areas of disability. So from a just-making-sure perspective, I don't disagree with a brief achievement measure, screening each of the major academic skill areas. It does seem unlikely that his math or reading skills are going to emerge suddenly as weaknesses, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I'm not as concerned that it will result in the removal of his IEP, because it doesn't address the areas related to DCD/dyspraxia, which is also part of his disability. The complication with the measures you are looking for is that many of them cease having reliable norms by the end of middle school. E.g., PAL-II only has norms through sixth grade. The Bender/VMI has norms through adulthood, but isn't timed, which won't get you fluency measures. The KTEA-3 full battery does include an optional Writing Fluency subtest, so maybe ask to add that on? OTOH, at some point he should just be using AT for writing. From the SLD-written expression angle, I'd prefer some slightly more advanced measures of written expression, too, such as the TOWL-4. (The KTEA-3 Written Expression subtest has some of the same elements, but doesn't break out the different aspects of written language as well as the TOWL-4 does.) Or you could see if they have the OWLS-II, which would allow you to document possible discrepancies between oral expressive language and written expressive language, which is another way to identify SLD-written expression.

FWIW.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...