I attempted to have a conversation with DD (just turned 14) today about classes next year in 10th. As usual, I heard a lot of "I don't know." This is a phrase many kids use, but it's excessive with DD. We almost never can get an answer for what she wants for dinner. "I don't know." is likely the answer. Tonight I was trying to discuss whether she really wished to go on a more math centered track. "I don't know." she says. I state she has claimed she does not like math in the past. "Ok." And then she puts her head under the pillow and says, "Good night."

This is one example of what we face every week. I have even asked what colors she likes, and she will remark, "I don't know." If I ask a couple more questions, she will say, "Ok. Good night." and put her head face down on the pillow. Her inability to make a decision is painful. I sometimes cannot even get her to decide what time to bake cookies.

All the strategies that I know of that work for most parent/ kids interactions to get kids to think through choices and consequences have yet to work with DD.It feels like anxiety plays a part, but I'd welcome thoughts, suggestions.